March 26, 2013
Spring is here! (Even though it does not quite feel like it in NYC!) Easter is right around the corner. I wanted to share one of my favorite recipes for Easter desserts: Easter Basket cupcakes. There are so many great things about these cupcakes. One, how cute are they? They are perfect to set up as a decorative centerpiece or even place one at each setting.
They can also be customized to showcase all of your favorite treats and flavors. Below is one great recipe from TasteofHome.com. When I make them, I use low fat butter and cream cheese so I feel a little less guilty but a splurge is always okay on the holidays. Enjoy!
• 1/2 cup butter, softened
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 egg
• 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
• 2 cups cake flour
• 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 2/3 cup buttermilk
• 3/4 cup butter, softened
• 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
• 1 teaspoon water
• 4 drops green food coloring
• 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut
• Red shoestring licorice
• Jelly beans
• In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in the egg and orange peel. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
• Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
• In a small bowl, beat butter, cream cheese and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar; spread over cupcakes. Combine water and food coloring in a large resealable plastic bag; add coconut. Seal bag and shake to tint. Sprinkle over cupcakes.
• Using a metal or wooden skewer, poke a hole in the top on opposite sides of each cupcake. Cut licorice into 6-in. strips for handles; insert each end into a hole. Decorate with jelly beans. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 351 calories, 18 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 273 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
March 11, 2013
Greetings from the runway! As you know, Fashion Week is one of my favorite times of the year, and this season’s fashion week did not let me down! I had such a great time and had the privilege of sitting front row at some of the most amazing shows.
I started Fashion Week off on Friday, February 8, by supporting a fellow Bravo TV member, Cesar Galindo, at his show. It was so good to see him, and his show was a huge success despite the winter “Nemo” storm! That storm was not going to stop this girl from seeing any shows, and it was not going to stop me from wearing heels in the snow! You know what they say….”Fashion over Function!”
Here are some pictures from Cesar’s runway show:
Also, on Friday I attended Rebecca Minkoff’s Fashion Show which was also a hit and a great time as well! I absolutely loved that Rebecca had a live band for her runway show. You better believe I was dancing away!
Here are some pictures from Friday:
Speaking of dancing, I had the privilege of walking in the Reality on the Runway show on Saturday and got a little carried away dancing to the song, “Anything Could Happen,” by Ellie Goulding. I happened to trip while dancing but I covered it up pretty well and got a laugh out of the crowd. I just wanted to spice it up a bit!
The Reality on the Runway Fashion Show that I walked in on Saturday was a benefit show to raise money for AIDS. I was so honored to be a part of that. I walked with some great girls, Alex McCord being one of them. Below is a picture of Mario and I with Drita D’Avanzo from Mob Wives. We all had a great time and raised money for a great cause!
On Monday, I went to one of my favorite shows…the Pamella Roland show. I was able to step back stage before the show to wish Pamella good luck, but I dont think she even needed it because her show was a hit, as always! Pamella’s new spring 2013 collection did not disappoint and I especially loved her peplum tank that was shown with a pencil skirt…so adorable!
Tuesday was a change of pace for me as I decided to head Downtown to the Elle 360 show. This was yet another great show with a trendy, hip vibe which differs from the shows at the Lincoln Center. After the show, I had dinner with with some beautiful blonde girlfriends of mine. It was a “Blondes Night Out” and a great time as well!
On Wednesday, I closed out the season with another favorite show of mine: the Zang Toi show. I sat front row at this show with Alex McCord and we had such a great time catching up. It was so nice to see Maksim Chmerkovskiy at the show too!
I love taking pictures on my phone during the shows so that I can look back and have my own little catalog of what is in style. I was sad to see Fashion Week end, but I am excited to see all the new collections on the streets of NYC being worn by people like us and not just the runway models!